Monday, January 14, 2008

Yogurt Cheese

I was inspired by Alton Brown on Good Eats about making cheese from yogurt. I have done this before to some reasonable success so I bought some plain yogurt and started the process.

Problem one: I did not have cheese cloth. I strained it through some nylons and too much yogurt was getting through. I then put another layer around it using a jam straining bag. Still too much yogurt getting through.

Problem two: Flavour - the flavour was just too acidic and strong for my liking.

I would like to try this again and set up a proper press for cheese making. I also would like to work with kefir.

For a few months in 2005 I had a good kefir culture going. I was producing too much yogurt and started to make cheese and it worked well. I unfortunately killed the kefir culture and need new grains to get things going again.

No comments: