Sunday, February 8, 2009

Backyard Chickens

I would suggest now is the time for anyone interested in chickens for this year to go to Borden Mercantile to order their hens.

There are other sources out there. Buckerfields in Duncan does a sort of poultry swap meet in the spring. There are people here in town within the backyard chicken network that have hens available.

It is time to look for your hens if your plan is to have some these year.

My hens have laid close to 1500 eggs since I got them last year. A gross value to me of about $400. My total costs to date have been about $460. I should break even in early April.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't much to offer on when to order chickens or how to care for them. However, for the amusement of my chicken-loving friends, I made a video I call 60 Chickens and posted it on my blog, Your Home Kitchen Garden. Please have a look. If you don't yet like chickens, the video may help change your mind.