Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Paprika Bistro - Estevan Village

I had wanted to go here for sometime, and last night I took Sheila here for a belated birthday dinner.


View Larger Map

The setting is nice, a number of small intimate rooms and an ambiance that is quiet and calm. The waiter was attentive but not over bearing.  He felt as if he is interested in your dining experience.

I started with a beef tartare and it was well done, it was especially good because the bread used was so good.  Sheila had a white bean soup that was smooth and silky, it had heaviness to it at all.  I could have eaten a whole pot of it.   The waiter gave a perfect red win selection for the tartare.

Sheila had a grilled albacore tuna for her main course.  I had the cavatelli pasta with a tomato and spicy sausage sauce, I chose to drink a pilsner with the spicy pasta and it worked very well.  Both of our main courses were well done and without a flaw.

Cavatelli is a pasta I had never heard of or seen before.  It feels in some ways more than like a gnocchi than other pastas.   It is much thicker and took a bit of getting used to.  When I asked more about the pasta, the waiter when and showed us the small board they use to roll out the pasta.

We both had deserts which we shared.   One was a very well done creme brulle, a perfect sugar crust and a cool interior.   The second one was a almond cake with a creme anglais. I can not remember the name of it.

One my test, could I do this at home?   Nope, I could try some of it, but most of what we had is not something I could replicate without a lot of hard work.

Paprika Bistro on Urbanspoon

No comments: