Thursday, August 5, 2010

Blueberries - lots and lots of blueberries

We bought 170 pounds of blueberries on Monday at a farm on 56th street in Tsawwassen.

I negotiated a price a week earlier and got a good deal - $1.35 a pound. There was on problem.   We had a time issue with getting them frozen and discovered that we had too many blueberries to be able to freeze them, we overloaded the fridge freezer and the basement freezer.

It was a good thing I did not get the 100 pounds of peaches I had planned on, there is no way that I could have managed to process all that fruit in a day and certainly I could not fit in the freezers.

We ate about 15 pounds fresh and I made 20 jars of jam and six of puree from about 15 more pounds.   This tells me that we can not handle more than 100 pounds of fruit in our freezers at one time.  By the way, if you want some jam, please drop me a line.

The jam is low sugar and we had it last night on stone wheat thins with Brie - very, very good.

I had hoped to be making red huckleberry jam, the crop in the Shuswap this year is phenomenal.    I have never seen the plants so full.  It was easy to pick a cup in five minutes or less.  I have always wanted to make some jam from wild fruits but have never been in a spot to be able to do it because I have never found the fruit in quantity.

Finally, if you are interested, I have a lot of figs just ripening, please come and get some, we will not eat more than a handful

No comments: