Monday, August 9, 2010

Jams

This year I have been making a lot of jams, nothing fancy, but very fruity ones.   I am making them all with Pomona's pectin which means I use a lot less sugar than normal, about 1 cup of sugar per four cups of fruit.  I have been giving a lot away this year and people have been raving about them.

I would post a picture, but our camera was stolen last week in the interior.   The old small camera we have is wonky and not taking great pics.   I will try to get some pics up here later.

I have an excess of Strawberry and Blueberry jam.  I expect to have an excess of Blackberry jam as well.   With all the blueberries we got the other week, I need to make the berries into jam because I am out of freezer space.

I would love to continue giving jam away, but I can not afford to give it away all the time.   I am happy to provide anyone interested with jam for $5 per 250 ml jar.   This is what I charged for jam in 2003 and 2004 when I sold it at the Whistler's farmer's market at my fruit and veg stall.

If you have an excess of fruit, drop me a line and we can talk about me making it into jam for you or I can teach you how to do it.  I like canning and want to see more if it happening, I can help with all manner of canning.

No comments: