Thursday, March 10, 2011

Making Preserved Lemons

I have been interested in preserved lemons since I first  about them close to 20 years ago on the original Masterchef out of the UK.   One of the amateur chefs had it along as their special ingredient for their cooking.   The very idea of preserving them intrigued me, but I never did anything about it.

Over the years I have seen them for sale in specialty food stores but the price has always been too much for my to pay to experiment.   Because I have no background in Moroccan cuisine, I had no real idea how to make them or what I would use them for.  I do know I like Moroccan food.

Lately I have been able to buy large amounts of lemons fairly cheaply at the Root Cellar.   If I buy five pounds of lemons, I have to come up with something to do with them.  Making a mousse took up a lot less than I thought it would - really only a couple of lemons.   I needed something else and I remembered preserved lemons.  

I am going to make them later today or tomorrow.  I will photograph the process and write about what the process is like and eventually what the lemons are like and what I make with them.

I will be using the recipe from the website Instructables  - generally a very interesting website to look and see what you can do at home in a huge variety of areas for food to cleaning to robots to almost anything.

No comments: