Friday, September 30, 2011

Kefir grains

I am looking for kefir grains so that I can start marking kefir yogurt again.  For a couple of years I had an active kefir culture going and I enjoyed the resulting product.  I even made some cheese from it.

The process is easy enough, you take the grains. put them into a canning jar with milk filled to the 3/4 mark and leave it out but not in the light.   After 24 hours you have your kefir yogurt.   You then strain out the grains and save them for your next batch.   The stuff you just made you store in the fridge and it will keep for a few days.  

The resulting product is a runny yogurt that has a strong tang to it.    It works really well in any sort of drink you want to make with it or on top of things like granola.   The stuff is also supposed to be wicked good for you, but that does not interest me as much as I like to eat it and work with it in my cooking.

The grains are small rubbery nodules, they are also a living bacterial culture.  When you make kefir yogurt the amount of kefir grains you have increases over time, this means you have grains you can share with others.   You can also kill your grains if you do not look after them properly.   This is what I did and that was the end of my kefir days.  

So, this is my request, if anyone out there knows of a source of kefir grains here in Victoria, please let me know so that I can go back to making kefir.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sue Stroud:

Just a reminder that you better NOT be planning to run for public office like you did three years ago, otherwise our group will effectively mobilize and work against your election once again.

We were very successful in reaching the Central Saanich electorate in 2008 implying many things about you (man-hating for one which wasn't too difficult).

Remember that this is being done to you as payback for all of the negativity you showed to certain other students at Uvic during the 1984-1985 term and especially within the AMS.

We are a group made up of former students and friends of these students who were targets of your relentless political bullying. Some of us hold high positions now but haven't forgotten how truly despicable you are.

Also tell your accomplice at that time Bernard Von Schulmann, that he's in the same standing with us as you.

Karma